Kretingos krašto lankytinų vietų maršrutas
Erškėtynas Stream and Chapel
Erškėtynas Stream is located in Joskaudai Forest in Kretinga District Municipality, between the villages of Dimitravas and Lazdininkai. A nearby chapel that was built in honour of the Mother of God is often referred to as Erškėtynas Stream Chapel.
Forced labour camp in Dimitravas Village
In the 19th century, the family of Count Zubov family built an estate in Tarvydai Village, with cottages next to it for the servants of the estate. The village and the estate were named in honour of Count Dmitrij Zubov and were therefore called Dimitravas (it was re-named Tarvydai only in 1927).
Count Tyszkiewicz Family Chapel-Mausoleum
The Count Tyszkiewicz Family Chapel-Mausoleum, along with the fence the eastern and western gates of the graveyard, rests in the site of the old graveyard of Kretinga Parish and forms a single complex. It is a state-protected cultural heritage object of regional significance.
Kretinga Lourdes Grotto, dedicated to the guardian of the Franciscans the Virgin Mary
One of the main symbols of Kretinga Town – the Lourdes Grotto replica dedicated to the Virgin Mary – was opened on 2nd August 1933, in the presence of the then President of the Republic of Lithuania, Antanas Smetona, the Minister of Defence, Balys Giedraitis, and 25 thousand believers from all over Lithuania.
Kretinga Bernardine Monastery and the Lord’s Revelation to Virgin Mary Church building complex
The Lord’s Revelation to the Virgin Mary Church building, which can be found at the centre of Kretinga Town, is one of the oldest churches in Samogitia. The masonry buildings of the monastery and the church were built in 1605-1617. They were built by a nobleman of the Lithuanian-Polish Commonwealth, Jonas Karolis Chodkevich, on his wife’s initiative, and the development of the whole town of Kretinga is directly tied to the establishment of the Franciscan monastery.
Jurgis Ambroziejus Pabrėža Grave Chapel
In the old graveyard of Kretinga, a Franciscan monk, preacher, botanist and doctor is buried – Jurgis Pabrėža, otherwise known as Father Ambroziejus. This man, who resided in Kretinga in 1771-1849, was well known amongst the residents of the surrounding area. That is why the guardian of the monastery, Augustinas Dirvelė, decided to build a small 15 square metre neo-Gothic style masonry chapel above his grave in 1933.
Kalnalis St. Lawrence’s Church
St. Lawrence’s Church is the most important cultural object of Kalnalis Village in Telšiai Diocese, situated on the right-hand bank of the Salantas River. The settlement, which is surrounded by the Salantas and Kūlupis Valleys, was established at the end of the 18th century, when the Grūšlaukė landowner Ignas Oginskis built St. Lawrence’s Church here in 1777.
Kartena Hillfort historical archaeological complex
Kartena Hillfort, also called the Castle, Swede or Lūžtis Mountain, is located on the other side of the river from Kartena Town. The town, as well as a bend in the Minija River and the surrounding valleys are visible from the hillfort. The hillfort has been dated to the 8th to 13th centuries, while the wooden castle that once stood there was a defensive and administrative centre for the Curonians of the Ceclis lands.