Plungės rajono sakralinio kelio maršrutas
Pakutuvėnai St Anthony of Padua church and monastery
In 1941, the Kretinga district engineer, Jonas Zubkus, prepared the church drawings. The Plungė kommandatura provided 600 bags of cement for the floor of the church, while the Plungė burgomaster, Edvardas Misevičius, following a request from the parish priest, granted 1200 bags of cement left behind by the Russians and 27 iron beams to the church.
Plungė St John the Baptist church building complex and Lourdes replica with a sculpture of the Holy Virgin Mary
The St John the Baptist church buildings are the main cultural objects of Plungė Old Town. The church was built in the Romanesque revival style, with a Latin cross layout and two towers. The predecessor of the present-day church was the wooden 1797 St John the Baptist church, which did not survive to present times. The building of the new church began in 1899.
All Saints Chapel
St John the Baptist chapel is also called the All Saints Chapel or the Zubov Chapel. It is located in the old graveyard of Plungė City and was built in the Romantic Classical style. It is said that it was built by local craftsmen, funded by one of the Zubov counts and the parishioners.
Perkūnas’s Oak – the oldest Oak tree in Plungė Mansion Park – grows in the central area of the park next to Oginskis Palace. The diameter of Perkūnas’s Oak is 1.65 m, while its height is 25 m. The tree was declared a natural monument in 1960, and since 1987 it has been a natural monument of national significance.
The Witch’s Ash
The Witch’s Ash is a botanical natural heritage object protected by the state. The tree grows in the park surrounding the Plateliai Mansions, in the territory of Samogitia National Park. The trunk of the European Ash measures 730 cm, with a height of 32 m, and it is more than 200 years old.
Beržoras St Stanislaus Bishop church building complex and the Beržoras ethno-architectural village (Chapels of the Cross)
In Beržoras Village (Plungė District) there are two highly significant cultural religious objects: St Stanislaus Bishop church building complex with the St Stanislaus church, bell tower and chapel – and the 14 Stations of the Cross chapels. It is said that a shepherd saw a painting of the Holy Virgin Mary in a treetop. The priests brought the painting down and took it to the Plateliai church; however, the painting disappeared from the church and reappeared in the same place in the treetop.
Gegrėnai Jesus of Nazareth church
The Gegrėnai Jesus of Nazareth wooden church was built in 1754, on the private land of the noble Venslauskis family. Since the church was initially built for the family of Mykolas Venslauskis, the building was not large (19.9 x 12.7 metres). At the beginning of the 19th century, the church was rebuilt in the same place and in an identical shape. On the front dome, a metal sun-shaped cross with the Venslauskis family crest was raised.
The Minor Basilica of the Visitation of the Holy Virgin Mary
The Minor Basilica of the Visitation of the Holy Virgin Mary, built on the Samogitian Calvary, is renowned for its transitional Baroque to Neo-Classical architectural style. The towers of the basilica have been renovated and rebuilt a few times, and some of the altars are identified as Neo-Baroque in their styling. The present day Minor Basilica of the Visitation of the Holy Virgin Mary is the fourth to have been built in the Samogitian town of Kalvarija.
St Peter and St Paul the Apostles church complex
St Peter and St Paul the Apostles church complex is part of the nationally significant sacral heritage in Plateliai Town, Plungė District. The complex consists of the St Peter and St. Paul the Apostles church built in 1744, as well as the bell tower built in 1899.
Alsėdžiai Church Building Complex of the Immaculate Conception of the Holy Virgin Mary
In 1421-1842, Alsėdžiai belonged to the Samogitian bishops, and from 1465 it became their permanent residence. The first church in Alsėdžiai was built in the 14th century. However, neither the original church nor the one that was built in the 17th century have survived to this day.
Kantaučiai Immaculate Conception of the Holy Virgin Mary church
Kantaučiai Immaculate Conception of the Holy Virgin Mary church is located in Kantaučiai Village, 12 km from Plungė. The wooden church in a Lithuanian folk architecture style is known for its stories of apparitions of the Holy Virgin Mary, where three of them were recorded in the last sixty years.
Mikytai Sacred Grove and stone with the devil’s footprint
Mikytai Sacred Grove, otherwise known as Alka Mountain, is located by the Bartuva, Minija and Venta River delta, in Samogitia National Park, Mikytai Landscape Reserve. The 1 km long Mikytai pedestrian path can also be found here.