St. Alexander’s church in Varniai is the oldest church in Samogitia.
In the year when Medininkai diocese, which eventually became Samogitian diocese, was established in Varniai, there was already a parish church. In the same spot, where today stands the new building of St. Alexander’s church, previously stood another church, built by the care of Vytautas Magnus and consecrated in 1417 St. Alexander’s church, according to the Christian name of Vytautas Magnus.
From the beginning of the 15th century, the church was rebuilt numerous times, and its present appearance was created in 1779. The building incorporates the characteristics of late Baroque and folk architecture. After WWII St. Alexander’s church was closed and damaged by the Soviet government, it was returned to the religious community and restored in 1991.
- Audio guide (1.4 MB )